- 1 Usage
- 2 External Links
- 3 Maintenance
Don't use the following materials :
- PVC plastic of other material containing chlorine,
- Teflon or other materials containing fluorine,
- Not recommended Polycarbonate (also known as Lexan, it produces a ugly edge and smokes like crazy).
If you are not sure you can use this diagram to identify the material
ALWAYS keep an eye on your job when the laser is working. Don't leave it unattended.
After each use clean the laser (lens and mirror) with a cotton swab and aceton, do not exert pressure on the lens while cleaning.
- Download Visicut, in version 1.7.9-51 or later you can download under menu 'Options --> Download recommended settings : Select "Netherlands, Enschede: TkkrLab"'
- For older versions of visicut, download setting for TkkrLab
- Start visicut and use menu 'Extra --> Install Inkscape Extension'
Turn on the laser
Switch on the laser and airfilter etc. with switch on stekkerblok
Put in the material
The table have to be on the right height, on the right there is a red line, the top of the material should align to this red line.
Find the right settings of the material you want to use.
CHECK table with settings (power and speed)
For more instructions how to use inkscape for lasercutter check out this manual from makerspace ZB45
In Inkscape make something you want to cut. If you have your design done select what you want to cut and use menu 'Extensions --> Lasercut path --> Open in Visicut'
For instructions of visicut check FabLab Berlijn
Select the right material and use the settings table for the right power/speed.
Use EXECUTE to start the laser cutter job.
- New brains Smoothie board
- Software compatible : Visicut, Inkscape
- Port : IP
- Item Code: CW3040
- Working Table Size: 300 *400mm
- Laser Tube : CO2 glass Tube
- Laser Power : 40W
- Cutting Speed : 0-2000 mm/min
- Engraving Speed : 0-3000mm/min
- Resolution : ±0.05mm /1000DPI
- Motor : Stepper
- Power Voltage : AC 110-220V±10%,50-60Hz
- Working Environment : 0-45? 5-95% (humidity)
- Power consumption : 300W (Total)
- Table type : Aluminum (Optional upon needs)
- Coolingmode : Water-cooled system
- Cutting thickness : 3-4mm (upon materials type)
- Rotary device : optional
- Packing Size : 123*79*60cm
- Gross Weight : 77/kg
No longer valid
- Software compatible : CorelDraw,AutoCAD,Photoshop
- Software : CorelDraw (Direct Output)
- Support Fils : BMP,HPGL,PLT,DST and AI
- Port : USB 2.0 Plug and play
No longer in use we replaced this with a Smoothie clone board.
If you want to improve the laser check the following links
- tips tokyo hackerspace
- cnc zone
- About materials
- Getting Control over a 50 Watt CO2 Laser Cutter from China
Inkscape boxmaker settings
Clean the lens and mirror after each job or at least once a day. Use cotton stick with aceton and lightly brush the surface of the mirror/lens.
Keep the rods oiled (no WD-40)
I (Duality) Quote:
Never use wd-40 as a lubricant. The primary ingredients in wd-40 are kerosene and mineral spirits, which can be corrosive and are otherwise not suitable for mechanical lubrication.
Also you don´t want a (wd-40) sprayed mirror ;).
how to maintain a laser cutter: maintenance
If you need to replace the water in the water cooling replace it with Demi water with 10% antivries (in case the room can get < 0c).
- Transport keep it upright (or let it rest 96 hours).
- Laser tube around € 250 (should last between 4000 hours (if you use always full power) - 10000 hours (if you only use engraving).
- Replacement Air filter : cost € 85 for active carbon, € 200 for the rest (285 of the whole filter)). Expected life 2 years
- Mirror € 80,=
- Lens 38 mm € 250,=